By Theresa Falzone
Every nonfiction project—be it a blog post, personal essay, magazine or newspaper article —benefits from a great headline. In fact, the headline is one of the most important elements of your work for several reasons:
- Editors will be more receptive to pitches when accompanied by an inviting title, even if you know the headline will be rewritten by the publication’s staff.
- Headlines are critical for search engine optimization and page ranking.
- Titles are frequently used by default when readers share your blog or article on social media.
- Readers often decide whether they’ll even click on a page based on the headline’s appeal.
Here are seven tips to write sparkling, compelling headlines:
- Ask a Question
- Why Do So Many Experts Miss Predictions of the Latest Natural Disaster?
- Are You Guilty of These Skincare Sins?
- ‘Fess Up to Mistakes
- Have You Made These Financial Mistakes?
- The 10 Most Common Mistakes Made By New Managers
- Offer an Explainer
- Why Every Blog Post Needs a Killer Headline
- Top Reasons Why You Should Hire a Publicist
- Go for Shock Value
- 5 Health Threats Lurking in Your Kitchen
- The Disturbing Reasons Your Adult Children Aren’t Calling
- Provide Can’t-Do-Without Lists
- 5 Must-Have Weeknight Recipes
- 10 Best Beach Bargains
- Give ‘Em How-To Lessons
- How to Change Your Life in 21 Days
- How to (Finally) Clean Out Your Closets
- Share “Hidden Knowledge” With Readers
- Beauty Secrets That Dermatologists Don’t Want You to Know
- The Truth Behind Making Money After Retirement
I hope these suggestions inspire you to write terrific headlines that grab readers’—and editors’—attention!